Decision making is a very common but crucial process that we carry out in our life on a daily basis. You must have read many articles telling you what to do while making a decision and how to make your decisions, but nobody tells you “WHAT NOT TO DO”. Most of the mistakes in life are made not because we do something wrong, but because we do things that we are not supposed to do. So here are the 5 main things that you should take care of and avoid doing while taking the most important decisions of your life.
- FOMO Factor:- FOMO stands for “Fear Of Missing Out”. Have heed on whether the decisions taken by you are just because you don’t want to miss out on something or you really want to be a part of it. We normally tend to give a “YES” when everybody nods and conform to where everybody is going because we don’t want to miss out on anything that others are going to get. Please don’t go by that rule! Assess the importance of the decision in your life, whether it is essential for you to enroll in or give a yes in whatever decision you are making or are you just engaging yourself because you don’t want to miss out what others are going to get? BEWARE OF FOMO!
- Impulsive State:- Hustling waters take you where they wish and not where you want to go. The same applies to an impulsive state while decision making. Being impulsive means being in a state where you take actions without any forethought. This normally happens when we are not in control of our emotions. Obviously, your decision should be backed by emotions also, but being over-emotional and not applying logic can result in chaos at a later stage. So, make sure that you do not travel amidst the hustling waters.
- Authority factor:- It is your decision and YOU should be the only authority behind the decision making process. If you want, you can take opinions from peers, subordinates, coordinates, and experienced individuals but by no means, the decision should be fully influenced by anybody else. When you give somebody else the authority, the blame game gets the space to step in. Do not let others decide what boat you want to ride on, make a choice on your own. Unless, when you are in an unconscious state were you cannot make a decision, somebody will have to mandatorily make decisions for you.
- Avoid excess & unnecessary information:- Information these days is more in number than the ants swirling around a heap of sugar. It is flooding everywhere around you. Newspaper, books, magazines, television, the internet, and many more mediums provide you with tons and tons of data. Make sure not to pay attention to each and every piece of information as it will create havoc in your mind and hinder the process of decision making by confusing you. Try to keep it simple by shortlisting what information that is most relevant to your decision.
- Never feel guilty:- Receiving criticism and sarcastic feedbacks from people? Do you think you made a wrong decision before? Having a hard time making a new decision? Feeling guilty? You should not, I’ll tell you why. There is no such thing as a wrong decision. A decision is made with an intent to arrive at a certain outcome. If that outcome is achieved, the decision is correct and if that outcome is not achieved then you learned something you didn’t know earlier. A decision can either be a success or learning. Make sure you learn from every unsuccessful decision you make. If you avoid the learnings then you are bound to make the same mistakes again.
These are the 5 things that you need to avoid while decision-making and you are bound to make the best decisions of your life. Even if you are not able to, then don’t worry you can always keep point no. 5 in mind. 🙂 Hope this helps you improve your decision making skill.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU!
Photo by Thomas Drouault on Unsplash